The original design for this block includes the dress, a spool of thread, and a needle, but I decided the dress would be enough of a challenge on its own. It was paper pieced and some of those pieces are tiny (all the Sampler blocks finish at 6″ square, not including the blue borders). I’ve done a lot of paper piecing, but I still found this one a little tricky. I do like how it came out though.
When I quilted it, I outlined the bodice and panels of the dress and decided to do a leaf and vine filler in the background. I chose a white-on-white print there, and I have to say I don’t like the way it quilted up. The needle holes are very large and obvious. I used the same fabric in other blocks and noticed the same problem, so I think I will take it out of my quilting stash and use it for other projects instead. Other than that I’m happy with the quilting design.
Side note on the photography: I tried using my design wall instead of my dining room table to shoot this batch of blocks. I don’t love the results. The straight-on ones are fine, and were easier to shoot because I could just stand in front of them rather than climbing on a chair and shooting downward, but I don’t think the angled ones came out as well as the ones I did on the table (like this one, for example).